Alumni Connect (Mentorship Program)
As a master’s student at the University of Chicago you will be assigned an advanced doctoral preceptor who will serve as your primary academic advisor. In addition, all students have the opportunity to work with our Career Services professionals, who advise students on all issues related to careers, including resume building, networking, job searching and interviewing.
If you are a MAPSS student, you may also find it helpful to have the mentorship of a recent graduate of your program who can share their experiences at UChicago and serve as a resource. The mentorship initiative, Alumni Connect seeks to facilitate partnerships between current students and recent graduates of the MAPSS program.**
If you choose to participate we will provide you with an Alumni Mentor who can help you navigate challenges that arise during your time at UChicago. Unlike preceptors and other program staff, Alumni Mentors are able to draw upon their own recent experiences as students to address challenges such as
how to thrive as a first-year graduate student
how to develop social networks at UChicago
how to develop successful study habits
how to navigate the campus and take advantage of its numerous resources
how to participate in and foster an inclusive campus environment
As part of the Alumni Connect program, you can expect to meet and/or correspond with your mentors on a regular basis and to join your mentors and other Alumni Connect mentees for a variety of social events.
How to Join
To register now, please complete this intake form before September 25th, 2019.
A mandatory Kickoff event will be held at noon on September 28th, 2019. At this Kickoff, interested students can learn more about the program, register, and meet Alumni Mentors. Our program coordinator, Samantha Fan, will be available to answer your questions.
Meet the Mentors
For more information, please contact MAPSS Assistant Director, Samantha Fan.
**Currently, Alumni Connect is only open to MAPSS and Computation students. CIR students should go here for more information about the CIR 2nd yearspecialization program. Please contact Michael Reese with any questions.
Past Mentors (2018-2019)
- Marie Akerman (Associate, Development and Communications at Civic Consulting Alliance)
- Zvi Beninson
- Noah Briggs
- Catherine Che (Pre-doctoral Fellow at EPIC - UChicago)
- Rafael Cruz (GIS Analyst at Ministry of Housing and Urban Developement - Mexico)
- Sanchita Dasgupta (Sociology PhD student at Brandeis University)
- Sierra Feasel (Social Psychology PhD student at UC Santa Barbara)
- Carman Fowler (Research Support Assistant for the Center for Decision Research, Lab Manager for the Wu and Fishbach Labs at Booth School of Business)
- Emma Herms (Research Coordinator at University of Chicago)
- Brent Hoagland
- Danielle Jacques (Cultural Exchanges Branch Manager, Baobab Consulting)
- Bobae Kang (Research Analyst at the Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority)
- Megan Kelly (Sociology PhD student at University of Michigan)
- Muxuan Lyu (Marketing PhD student at Hong Kong Polytechnic University)
- Joshua Silver (Sociology PhD student at the University of Chicago)
- Abigail Spanier
- Dylan Tam
- JonRobert "Tat" Tartaglione (CEO, Influence 51)
- Golnar Teimouri (Legislative Counsel and Intergovernmental Affairs Liaison to Mayor of Chicago)
- Marisa Wakely (SSA graduate student at UChicago)
- Jiaqi Yu (Marketing PhD student at Chicago Booth)
- Chong Yu
- Donghai Yu (Education Industry, Beijing, Suzhou)
- Ying Zeng (Marketing PhD student at University of Toronto)
- Mindi Zhang (History PhD student at UCLA)
- Boyan Zheng (Sociology PhD student at University of Wisconsin-Madison)